Hippo Birdie Card

Sunday, June 6, 2010
I made this shape card for my youngest, who will be turning 8 in August.  Like his mother, he loves jokes and plays on words so I know this will be a hit with him. (I'm trying to get ahead with my card making as I recently learned that I need to take two courses this summer.  I was originally just planning to take one.  Eek!) 
For this card, I used Design Studio to weld the shadows of the hippo (from Animal Kingdom) and bird (from Stretch Your Imagination).  I also copied and pasted the hippo shadow, flipped it, and welded it to the image in order to create my card base.  I then cut the hippo and bird (as well as the bird's tiny feet and beak) without the shadow feature.  I cut the 8 and its shadow from Makin' the Grade.  I inked everything and drew around the inner contours of the hippo.  I attached little black gems for the bird's eyes and wiggle eyes for the hippo.  I also added a little feather to the top of the bird.  Everything was glued flat for this card, with the exception of the top layer of the 8.  It was popped with tiny PopDots.
Using the blackout feature, I cut another image of the hippo for the inside mat of the card.  I computer-generated the sentiment for the inside of the card and used a digi-stamp from OWH Stars and Stamps.  I resized, cropped, and flipped it to go around the sentiment.  As you can see from the photo, the bird's shadow was only used for the front of the card.  It looked a bit silly to have it on the back, so I decided just to use the hippo.

I'm submitting this card at My Creative Time with Emma V. Aguilar.  Episode 46 begins Throwback Thursdays.  This week is all about Animal Kingdom, and the prize is a set of Punny-licious stamps from My Pink Stamper!  Oh, how I LOVE these stamps!!  I don't know if it's my undergrad degree in linguistics or just part of my genetic make-up, but I love words and plays on words.  These stamps were made to complement the Create-a-Critter cartridge which I've just ordered.  My mind is already creating!

5 comments

Anonymous said...

This is really cute, I bet it will be a hit with your little guy! Too cute!

My Creative Time said...

Kate, I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! IT's SOOO CUTE!! LOVE the Notebook!!;)
ALSO, I think your card is just PERFECT!! Your little one is going to just ADORE this card you created! Thank you so much for participating in my 1st throwback Thursday challenge!!
Big Hugs,
Emma;)

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

He came out so adorable! I love the little birdie on top, so cute!

Angi Barrs said...

That is so cute. Love the little bird on top! Cute idea :)

DonnaMundinger said...

OMG, Kate! This is just hysterical!!!! It's just too cute for WORDS! xxD

Former Design Team Member at My Craft Spot (2011-2015)
My Craft Spot


Powered by Blogger.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

>